One Month Before Moving
Pick up a Change-of-Address Kit from the Post Office. Most Post Offices require at least 3 weeks for the address change to process.
Make a list of people you are going to inform of your new address:
- Friends and family
- Insurance companies - either plan to cancel or transfer services
- Credit card companies
- Magazines and newspapers - cancel local newspaper delivery
- Doctors, dentists and other providers – be sure to transfer drug prescriptions
- Past employer - for W2 forms
Start to think about what you don't want to take with you:
- Use up perishable foods
- Sell, donate or hold a garage sale for unwanted items
Prepare a list of what you do and do not want to move:
- Large appliances
- Outside furniture
For full service moves:
- Get written estimates from several moving companies and compare them. Discuss in detail any and all fees and what their damage and payment policies are.
- Will the movers pack for you and what are the pros/cons?
- What items won't they move?
- Get appraisals of high-value items in case of future claims. Include photos of valuables for your records.
- Be sure to arrange for exact form of payment at destination with your mover.
For do-it-yourself moves, make arrangements for truck rental and moving help, and buy packing supplies:
- Packing and masking tape
Start packing items you don't use on a daily or weekly basis:
- Seasonal Items
- Seasonal Clothing
- Home Office Items
- Miscellaneous Items- candles, tapes & CDs, knickknacks, etc.
Stop by and make arrangements for picking up your important records:
- Optician, optometrist
- School - make sure you get one with a raised seal
One Week Before Moving
Depending on which town in Boston you are relocating to, call the local city hall and arrange for the police to post a Moving Truck Only Permit in front of your new home. Remember that most of the city is Permit Parking only, and without this posting, you and/ or the movers could get a Parking Ticket.
- Start a new bank account in your new town.
- Contact your child's new school and notify them of your upcoming move to their area.
- Get your automobile(s), snowmobiles, lawnmowers, etc. serviced.
- Dispose or drain any flammable items: Lawn mower gas, snow blower gas, paint, aerosol cans